Avenues of Service
For many years, Rotary’s commitment to Service Above Self has been channeled
through the Five Avenues of Service, which form the foundation of club activity. The James City County Rotary Club
works to have each of its members involved in several Avenues and to use the skills, talents and energies of its
members to be a better club, and better, contributing citizens of our community.
- Club Service focuses on strengthening fellowship and ensuring the effective functioning
of the club.
Club Projects: Charity Concert Series, Poinsettia Sales, Quarterly Club Socials
- Vocational Service encourages Rotarians to serve others through their vocations and to practice
high ethical standards. Observed each October, Vocational Service Month spotlights Rotary club projects related to this avenue,
offering opportunity for clubs and districts to use their professional skills in service projects.
Club Projects: Ideal of Service Award, Dictionaries for Third Graders, Scholarships
- Community Service covers the projects and activities the club undertakes to improve life in
Club Projects: Monthly FISH donations, Adopt-a-Highway, Salvation Army Support, LPGA Kingsmill Tournament Support, local Youth Baseball
- International Service encompasses actions taken to expand Rotary's humanitarian reach around the
globe and to promote world understanding and peace. Rotarians can support International Service by sponsoring a project
in another country, seeking international project partners to support projects in their own communities, or by
personally volunteering at an international project site.
Club Projects: Merida Mexico Project, Open World Project hosting Russians, Clean Water Projects
- New Generations Service is a new initiative that recognizes the positive change implemented by youth and young
adults through leadership development activities such as RYLA, Rotaract, Interact, service projects, and through
creating international understanding through the Rotary Youth Exchange.